Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wii Wii All The Way Home

Okay, today at work I sat listening to what might as well be a conversation in Russian....the guys in the office were talking about Wii. I have been trying to avoid the video games in our household as long as I can. Jonathan just turned 4 and I am not quite ready to open the can of worms....because I know he will probably be one of those guys in the office that are talking in Russian to some other "old fashioned" mother in his office. While I will admit, Wii does seem to be a more family friendly game that at least gets you moving, but I am afraid of the "addiction." I have never been in love, or even like with video games however, so maybe I am just living on an island unaware of the social injustice I am causing my four-year-old to endure--but to be honest with you, I am also afraid I will never have another conversation with my husband again if we were to break down and join the Wii world.

I even caused a stink this Christmas when my sister wanted to buy my son a Leapster. I gently suggested that there are plenty of other toys that I am sure he would enjoy more...then all heck broke loose. But it's "educational" she kept saying over and over, as if I was going to change my mind. I don't know about you, but I cannot stand it when other people's children come to my home and cannot take eyes off their hand-held "video games." I can see how these tools would be useful when traveling or if you are going to some one's home that you know will not have things for kids to do i.e. great-grandma's house. I just feel that Jonathan is too young yet. I know that my son has plenty of years ahead of him to play video games and whatever else I can only imagine will develop in his lifetime...so for the time being, I am going to allow him to enjoy just being 4 and whatever his imagination can think up! What do you think? Am I crazy?

No comments: