Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Made Shepherd's Pie!

Okay, so it might not be a big deal to you...but to me it is a big deal. I have never made Shepherd's pie before, nor had I really had a desire to until I went searching for a recipe to use up the ground turkey that I had defrosted and was sitting in my refrigerator waiting to be used. You see, I have been trying to cook with turkey more because it is a healthier choice--and that is absolutely something we need to focus on here in the red ranch--but I often get stuck in a rut and can't think beyond my basics. Yes, as hard as it is to believe, Shepherd's pie is beyond my basics! So behold....the Pie!








Doesn't look so healthy does it? Alright, we have far to go on our healthier journey, but at least it wasn't made with fat filled beef! Here's the recipe (via allrecipes.com) if you would like to give it a try:

Ingredients:

cooking spray
1 1 /2 pounds potatoes
6Tbs. butter or marg.
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb ground turkey
2 packages of instant gravy (although I used premade in a can)
1 cup water
1 (16 oz) package of frozen peas and carrots, thawed (although I cut up some organic carrots)
2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (that's where the low-fat cheese comes in!)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease medium baking dish.

Cover chunked potatoes in saucepan and boil for 20 to 30 minutes, or until soft. Drain, beat and add butter, milk, salt and pepper.

Brown turkey in a medium skillet, add gravy. Stir often until bubbly.

Add turkey mixture to the baking dish. Next, layer peas and carrots, then top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle on the cheese and bake 20 to 30 minutes.

No comments: